[URGENT] You’ve got ONE DAY to read this : 20 Email Subject Lines which Research Shows Your Subscribers Can’t Resist
According to MailChimp’s analysis of over 40 million emails, the 10 most effective (60-87% open rate) subject lines were:
1. [Business Name] Sales and Marketing Newsletter
2. Eye on the [Business Name] Update (Oct 31 – Nov 4)
3. [Business Name] Staff Shirts and Photos
4. [Business Name] May 2005 News Bulletin!
5. [Business Name] Newsletter – February 2006
6. [Business Name] Newsletter – January 2006 [ *|FNAME|* *|LNAME|* ]
7. [Business Name] and [Business Name] Invites You!
8. Happy Holidays from [Business Name]
9. ATTENTION [Business Name] Staff!
10. ATTENTION [Business Name] West Staff!!
Digital Marketer analyzed the 125 million emails they sent in 2014 to determine which ones performed best. Here were their top 10 subject lines:
11. How (and why) to calculate Average Customer Value
12. [URGENT] You’ve got ONE DAY to watch this…
13. Check out my new “man cave” [PICS]
14. 212 blog post ideas
15. A Native Ad in 60 Minutes or Less
16. Is this the hottest career in marketing?
17. Your 7-figure plan goes bye-bye at midnight…
18. Steal these email templates…
19. The Facebook Slap is coming…
20. [WEEKEND ONLY] Get this NOW before it’s gone…
Elements to test in your own emails: Try conveying a sense of urgency in your subject lines (“is coming”, “get this now”, “you have one day left”, etc.). Using numbers is always a great way to grab attention as well (“7-figure plan”, “212 ideas”, “60 minutes or less”). Finally, test out using ellipse’ (3 dots) at the end of your subject lines; five of the 10 subject lines above used this strategy.